Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Not all professionals earn a fortune



The American spotted this on the Pacific Standard website. Very interesting article on the sacrifices we make to follow a  dream. It's about Clint Irwin, a goalkeeper for the Colorado Rapids, who makes $35k a year (about 23,000 pounds).

I think it would make a few bigger names stop to think - a certain Ashley Cole could do with remembering this conversation with his agent Jonathan...

"I’m here in the office and David Dein (former Arsenal vice-Chairman) is saying they aren’t going to give you £60k ($92k)  a week. They’ve agreed £55k ($84k) and this is their best and final offer. Are you happy with that?”
When I heard Jonathan (Barnett) repeat the figure of £55k, I nearly swerved off the road. “He is taking the piss, Jonathan!” I yelled down the phone. I was so incensed. I was trembling with anger. I couldn’t believe what I’d heard. I suppose it all started to fall apart for me from then on. I’d trusted Mr Dein to push the deal through.
That's if Ashley could read! Here's the link again The Life of a Non-Millionaire Professional Athlete

No comments:

Post a Comment